The Museum collection is located in a magnificent Palace of the nineteenth century, the Palais des Beaux arts de Lille concede unless only to the Paris Louvre. The Museum had a wonderful collection of European art (the result of Napoleon’s marauding army), here you can see paintings by Rubens and Rembrandt, and a whole gallery dedicated to the works of Monet and Renoir.
Don’t forget to go down to the basement of the Palace. Where is located the exhibition of original architectural models of buildings in Northern cities from the time of Louis IV, created by Vauban, the legendary architect to the Royal castles. A gallery devoted to the history of French sculpture from Houdon to Burday.
The gate of the garden date back to 1691 when Louis de Karel has got the possession of land, wooded, on which he subsequently broke a fenced garden and a pavilion. Scottish banker John law purchased the garden in 1717, and in 1741 had changed several owners, the garden was opened to the public. In 1806 Sophie Blanchard held a single ascent in a balloon from the garden. In 1811, the garden became the property of Napoleon. In 1820 English horticulturist Craig Calvert had built in the garden greenhouse for growing dahlias. In 1832 the land was bought by the municipality of Rouen to create an urban Botanical garden on the project of Guillaume Dubray. The gardens were opened in 1840
Today in gardens there are more than 5600 plant taxa, representing more than 600 species. Botanical garden famous for its collection of fuchsias with more than the 991 variant. At the Botanical gardens and the rock garden area of 1300 square metres and also a section of irises and daylilies, the garden of roses.