The Botanic garden, Rouen

The Botanic garden, Rouen

The gate of the garden date back to 1691 when Louis de Karel has got the possession of land, wooded, on which he subsequently broke a fenced garden and a pavilion. Scottish banker John law purchased the garden in 1717, and in 1741 had changed several owners, the garden was opened to the public. In 1806 Sophie Blanchard held a single ascent in a balloon from the garden. In 1811, the garden became the property of Napoleon. In 1820 English horticulturist Craig Calvert had built in the garden greenhouse for growing dahlias. In 1832 the land was bought by the municipality of Rouen to create an urban Botanical garden on the project of Guillaume Dubray. The gardens were opened in 1840
The Botanic garden, Rouen
Today in gardens there are more than 5600 plant taxa, representing more than 600 species. Botanical garden famous for its collection of fuchsias with more than the 991 variant. At the Botanical gardens and the rock garden area of 1300 square metres and also a section of irises and daylilies, the garden of roses.
The Botanic garden, Rouen

You may also like